What herb is good for hypothyroid ?
I have a friend who is into holistic medicine and has a hypothyroid
- Hypothyroidism can be a very serious condition. She needs to take thyroid replacement therapy not herbs. People can die from hypothyroidism if it gets bad enough (look up myxedema).
Doctors used to prescribe thyroid extract, which I believe was extracted from cattle thyroid. However, synthetic thyroid hormone is much more precise and safe, and it is chemically identical to naturally occurring thyroid hormone. Your body doesn't care whether the medicine was made by a plant, animal or in a test -tube.
- Hi Bug9140
Here are some ideas to use including herbs.
Cause: Hypothyroidism can be caused by food allergies, excess stress, environmental toxins, insufficient exercise, B vitamin deficiencies, lack of iron, lack of digestive enzymes, liver disease, hormone imbalances, and/or parasites. All of these factors need to be screened for and addressed before lasting relief can be achieved.
Sulfa drugs, lithium, synthetic estrogen, and antihistamines can exacerbate hypothyroidism symptoms. In addition, if you are on thyroid medication, increase calcium supplementation to reduce the risk of bone loss.
Low thyroid function may also be due to Hashimoto`s disease, a condition in which the body becomes allergic to its own thyroid gland and forms antibodies that attack it, thus lowering thyroid hormone output.
Diet: Eat an organic, whole foods diet, emphasizing foods that are naturally high in iodine such as fish, kelp, vegetables, and root vegetables (such as potatoes). Also, increase your daily consumption of foods rich in vitamin B complex, such as whole grains and raw nuts and seeds, and foods rich in vitamin A, such as dark green and yellow vegetables. But avoid foods that slow down production of thyroid hormone, such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, broccoli, turnips, kale, spinach, peaches, and pears.
Herbs: Mild cases of hypothyroidism can be helped by herbal bitters such as gentian or mugwort, while constipation due to low thyroid function can be improved by yellowdock, butternut, or cascara sagrada. St. John`s wort can also be helpful.
Homeopathy: Calc carb. in a dose of 1M once a day is very useful for treating hypothyroidism and improving overall thyroid function.
Hydrotherapy: Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment. I suggest several at-home hydrotherapy treatments.
Lifestyle: Regular aerobic exercise can play an important role in helping to regulate thyroid hormone production.
Nutritional Supplementation: Organic thyroid glandular extracts can help restore normal thyroid function, but should only be used under the supervision of your physician. Other useful nutrients include vitamin A, vitamin B complex, essential fatty acids, iodine, kelp, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
Alternative Professional Care: If your symptoms persist despite the above measures, seek the help of a qualified health professional. The following professional care therapies have all been shown to be useful for treating hypothyroidism include: Acupuncture, Biofeedback Training, Cell Therapy, Detoxification Therapy, Environmental Medicine, Homeopathy, Magnetic Field Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Osteopathy, Qigong, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Yoga
Best of health to both of you
- The best herb for hypothyroid is Synthroid, the thyroid replacement medication perscribed by your doctor. It will make you feel much better and is a good "holistic" approach - holistic means treating the whole person, not shunning all conventional western medicine. Do that and exercise, meditate, and/or do yoga and you've got a holistic cure.
- I wouldn't mess around with herbs if you are hypothyroid. If you want all natural try Armour thyroid. It's been around the longest of all the thyroid meds and it works well. I know as I've been on it for 3 years. It works because it contains both T4 and T3, while Synthoid & Levoxyl are only T4 and are lab made with chemicals. Links below
- I have hypothyroid and take kelp, l-tyrosine, and selenium have been doing this for 6 months and am doing great!
- experienced healing and educating many years
- she really needs to be on synthetic thyroid hormones.